Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Deathwing


I've always been a big fan of the Dark Angels and their status as the Unforgiven. To me it shows a deeper depth to this chapter then say Blood Angels, who come in and slaughter everything or the Space Wolves whose genetic mutation has them growing long ass canines and being... well... wolf like.

The Dark Angels were always so mysterious and enigmatic. They would show up on fields of battle with agendas of their own and once completed disappear, much to the chagrin of the Imperial Army there. Sometimes they would abandon fields of battle to chase a lead for the "Fallen". Sometimes they would come in and tell the Imperial Forces to sod off we're taking this on.

As I read more and more fluff and background for the Dark Angels the more and more I liked them and especially the Deathwing. So I decided back in Ver. 3 of Warhammer 40K that I would have a DeathWing army. Granted it's not one of the more powerful armies nor is it a horde army, but it's definitely an eye turner when you put down your forces and people go oooo... Termies.

So at that time I bought the Deathwing Terminators and built my force. These were the pewter mini's that had the different amounts of regalia hanging off them including feathers and the like. I liked them but always thought they were a bit... small... for what they represented.

I got a nice surprise when they decided to remake them on 40mm bases. These things are beautiful and feel right. Now when you put on the table it dwarfs the normal Space Marines that might be standing next to it.

So without further ado I begin my chronicle of creating the first company of the Dark Angels. I intend to make the entire first company. Below are my first couple squads I've assembled and painted up. I intend to revisit these once I get better at using rare earth magnets and setting up weapon swaps for the Terminators.


click picture for a closer look

One thing I need to learn is to take better pictures. I don't feel that these pics do them justice. Below you'll find Master Matthius and Brother Chaplain Pluvius.



I used the standard Lysander model, shaved down all the Imperial Fist Icons and put a ForgeWorld DeathWing Shoulder Pad set on it. Minor Conversion work and I think I'm going to paint the cloak a different color. Most people that see it on the tabletop think it's unfinished, so I'll need to take care of that. The Chaplain model is just a normal Chaplain. I'm also going to redo the bases on all my termies to look like these:


A friend found this on a different blogspot and directed me to it. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I wanted to go with a Space Hulk Deck base and tried to do it with the diamond plating plasticard. The results were less then stellar.

I had been looking at epiccast and others but none of them really felt right or looked a bit over the top. So my friend was perusing the blogspots and came across A Mind of Metal and Wheels.

I liked what he did here and have started looking at other things he's done, such as the plasticard pieces he's adding to his vehicles to make them even more unique. So if you want some really nice ideas I suggest you head over there and take a look. Got my creative juices going.

So I'll finish this up by saying I'm going to keep updating this when I can and hopefully show some step by step photos of me painting my Deathwing and making my bases. I'll also see how well I do with the magnets. I just need about 50 or so more shoulder pads from Forge World. I'll try to get some better pics up shortly of my Termies that I do have done so you can ooo and aaaa over them. (hehehe)

No comments: